Front-End Engineer, Kumo Development Team
Amazon - Cape Town, Province of the Western Cape
At Amazon Web Services (AWS) we believe that work should be a fun place where you can hone your natural talents. We believe in people taking Ownership of their space, and driving initiatives with all their creativity to Deliver Results for our Customers. If this sounds like the place you would like to work, send us your Resume/CV. You will be surrounded by people who are smart and passionate about cloud computing and supporting our customers.
Kumo is our software engineering organization that helps us scale the support capabilities of AWS. As such we build various tools and experiences for both external and internal customers. As a team we are customer led and are busy reimagining what compelling user experiences look like for our customers.
Some of the things that we look for:
· Track record delivering front-end software that is correct, stable, performant, secure, and accessibility compliant.
· Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity. Works hard to collect information to avoid solving the wrong problem and mitigate UI risks early in the process to avoid feature delays. Can decompose a problem into clear software and UX design actions.
· Proficient in a broad range of software design approaches and common UX patterns. Knows when (and when not) to use front-end software design patterns (e.g., asynchronicity, data binding, modules, MV*, objects, promises).
· Can articulate the risks and benefits of depending on front-end libraries, frameworks, and toolsets.
· Able to dive into the source code of front end libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary
e.g., command pattern, uni-directional data flow, two-way data binding e.g., Model-View-Controller (MVC) or Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM)
· Proficient in view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support). Knows when it is appropriate to make graceful fallbacks.
· Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices.
· Understands how to optimize the delivery of code and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.).
· Understands the implications of introducing dependencies.
· Understands how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customers devices, etc.).
· Knows how to instrument software with real user metrics to reflect the customer experience.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
· 5+ years professional experience building customer facing web applications
· Experience developing web-based user interfaces for mobile and desktop.
· Solid understanding of software development methodologies and processes.
· Bachelor's degree in web development, software engineering, computer science, or equivalent professional experience.
· Experience building large-scale modern web applications
· 5+ years professional experience in software or web development
· Experience developing dynamic interfaces with the latest libraries and frameworks (e.g. React)
· Understanding of web services technologies such as REST, HTTP 2, JSON-based RPC on the backend & front-end.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment and to learn new frameworks/stacks
· Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive
· Passion for building a rich and innovative user experience