Senior Software Development Engineer - EC2 Placement Research Team
Amazon - Cape Town, Province of the Western Cape
This vacancy is for the EC2 Placement Quality Research Team, which is responsible with adopting machine learning and novel optimization techniques to optimize the placement of customer instances on physical hosts. This problem-space is particularly interesting, as it requires us to build systems which solve multi-axis optimization problems. Given EC2's massive scale, there are significant customer and business benefits that we can unlock. The team is also responsible for ensuring that our systems have good measurability and predictability.
The successful engineer will have knowledge and interest of Machine Learning or optimization techniques, and will work closely with our research-scientists to innovate for EC2 and its customers.
· 5+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
· Experience in any of Java, Scala, Ruby, Perl, C/C++ or C#
· Knowledge of ML or optimization techniques
· Expertise in delivering high-quality, innovative applications
· Strong customer focus
· Strong computer science fundamentals
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities
· Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
· Experience in building high-performance real-time data processing systems.
· Experience with Linux, Git, and Java.
· Experience with Python and tools/frameworks in the analytics/ML ecosystem (e.g. numpy, pandas, matplotlib, SciPy stack) and working in Jupyter notebooks
· Strong desire to build, a sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
· Excellent written communication and verbal agility