Software Development Engineer
Amazon - Cape Town, Province of the Western Cape
Amazon Development Centre South Africa is looking for passionate software developers to join us and help to solve a challenging set of problems in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) space.
This position is in the team that is responsible for managing resources and AMI metadata. As such, were core to EC2s proper functioning, and key to EC2s ability to deliver novel customer-features. The teams problem-space is particularly interesting, as it requires us to build systems that are robust and fully scalable
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
· BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
· Customer focus.
· 2+ years of professional experience in software development
· Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
· Experience with Java, Ruby, Perl or C/C++.
· Expertise in delivering high-quality, innovative applications.
· Analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
· Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring.
· How do I fit in as a candidate? We are looking for an experienced back-end software development engineer who is passionate about building great products in the context of a diverse, multi-functional and independent team. A successful candidate:
· is focused on the customer
· cares about achieving stretch goals
· delivers high-quality, innovative applications
· has strong analytical skills and problem solving abilities.
· wants to build; has a sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
· has good verbal and written communication.