Software Development Engineer - EC2 Control Plane Platform
Amazon - Cape Town, Province of the Western Cape
Join us in building the next generation Control Plane service platform that runs the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) web service. Our platform handles a significant load of Internet traffic generated by internal and external customers that build their platforms on EC2. Engineers in our teams have a strong sense of ownership and drive to innovate and have resounding impact in how we develop and deliver software at such a large scale.
You will play an active role as an Engineer in this team. You may create or have responsibility to improve or develop tools or applications. You are able to take a defined design and turn it into code and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current software engineering best practices. You write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects. You are proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not). You participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions.
As a Amazonian, youll enjoy interacting with some of the talented engineers in our industry through breakfast talks and demos, internal communities and extensive training material that span all aspects of our business. Youll also enjoy flexible working hours within small sized teams and the high level of autonomy that our engineers operate under. We follow the DevOps model and so our teams are empowered to own the full development and support life-cycle of their systems. Our teams operate like start-ups in that they own and drive a portfolio of services which includes everything from developing the long term vision for their products through to deciding on what technologies and development methodology or
· Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent working experience
· 1+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
· Strong Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
· Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals
· Expertise in delivering high-quality, innovative applications
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
· Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
· Excellent written communication and verbal agility are strong assets.
· Working knowledge of relational databases and back-end programming
· Working knowledge of AWS products and technologies
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.