Audit Technical Assistant Manager - Professional Practice Group
EY - Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Provide ad-hoc support to teams on informal queries relating to methodology, auditor reporting, EY policy, Companies Act issues, reportable irregularities, NOCLAR and other audit technical matters. You will seek guidance from senior members in the audit technical team to enable you to do so as required.
- Provide support to the consultation process as a Subject Matter Resource (SMR). An SMR works with audit teams to ensure the consultations they submit to an Approver are complete in fact pattern, appropriately researched, well documented and have a conclusion that you as SMR would concur with.
- Assisting partners and managers in audit with the application of complex risk management policies and procedures to resolve / manage arising risk matters through applying an understanding of global and local policies. You will seek guidance from senior members in the audit technical team to enable you to do so as required.
- Responsible for supporting technical Senior Managers on all arising and urgent technical matters.
- Develop a wide and deep knowledge across various technical matters (reporting, JSE regulations, Companies Act, audit methodology, analytics (digital auditing) and/or Reportable Irregularities) and over time determine an expertise as you progress.
- Manage smaller audit technical projects from inception to completion through appropriate project management of self and other technical resources (if required) and similarly execute tasks and elements of projects assigned to you by Senior Managers.
- Assist Senior Managers with the research and development of technical material including:
- Training material for in person and skype based training;
- Enablers, forms and template, guidance, and communications;
- Policy updates.
- Assist partners in responding to internal quality inspection findings and assist Senior Managers who support partners with external inspections.
- Assist partners and audit teams with root cause analysis process following external and internal inspections.
- Present in-person and skype based training as required and gain experience in each of the core curriculum training events presented to trainees and new managers.
- Train and coach peers and juniors in Professional Practice on technical matters through day to day interactions.
- Build strong internal relationships within Assurance and across other services
- (Optional) Execution of complex audit engagements, managing risk and applying professional scepticism
- Enhance EY’s brand positioning through strong external relationships across a network of external relationships through involvement on SAICA and IRBA committees if deemed appropriate by Senior Managers.
- Be recognized as a respected and supportive mentor, coach and counsellor, building career value for individuals
- Build and develop an inclusive culture of high-performing and diverse teams
- Contribute to performance feedback for peers and staff.
- Contribute to people initiatives including recruiting, retaining and training Assurance professionals where appropriate.
- Contribute to the maintenance of an educational program to continually develop personal skills
- Understand, follow and communicate workplace policies and procedures to all levels of staff
- Develop personal profile and awareness of EY offerings in the marketplace
- Build strong and long term relationships with key partners and ADs
- Act as an ambassador of EY in the market, with regulators and with clients
- Thorough knowledge of current auditing techniques
- Knowledge and understanding of ISAs, SAAPS and Auditing Professions Act
- Experience of the entire audit process
- Familiarity with IFRS
- Detailed understanding of risk-based auditing and risk and control strategies
- Understanding of Quality & Risk Management procedures
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- 1-3 years post articles experience in an auditing environment for manager position.
- 0-2 years post articles experience / completed articles in an auditing environment for assistant manager position.
- Advantageous to have been in a part time or full time audit technical role in an audit firm.
Why should I work for EY’s Africa Professional Practice Group (PPG)
The EY PPG team is the ideal environment for a professional who wishes to work in a high-performing and inclusive environment that offers you great opportunities to develop an interesting and fulfilling career focusing on technical work. The ability to include some client work as an audit manager further allows you to develop your skills and experiences.
The environment is suited for those specialised in audit technical but equally for those who would like to grow their technical knowledge. The role also allows potential transition into the audit business by providing a strong technical base for a career transition. Equally it can be a permanent role for a technical specialist.
You'll work with many multidisciplinary teams to handle complex issues and resolve challenges for audit teams auditing leading companies. Equally the projects you will be involved in will vary and will rotate amongst other senior managers to enable a wide variety of experiences. We'll support you in your professional development so you are able to achieve your highest potential. At EY, we know it's your point of view, energy and enthusiasm that make the difference.