IFC - Johannesburg, Gauteng
IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC’s Partnerships, Communications and Outreach Vice Presidency manages multilateral engagement and communications – both internal and external – across IFC. The Vice Presidency is responsible for content creation, branding, reputational risk management, relationships with shareholders in Western Europe and Japan, fundraising, and multilateral engagement.
The Development Partner Relations (DPR) unit within the VPU will support IFC operations, both Investment and Advisory Services, as well as the Economics & Private Sector Development VPU, the ESG team, IFC Treasury, and the Joint GPs, through fundraising for IFC priority areas and maintaining ongoing relationships with development partners, including with bilateral and multilateral sovereign partners, and with foundations and corporate philanthropies. In addition to directly engaging with partners to support IFC activities, DPR will facilitate partnership development across IFC and advise all IFC operational units on establishing and maintaining meaningful partnerships for funding and broader support for IFC activities.
The Operations Officer, Africa Regional Partners will report to the Principal Operations Officer, Africa/MENA Regional Partners.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Help manage relationships and partnership development with the funding agencies of key development partners in the Africa region for IFC, working in close coordination with the Regional Heads of Operations, as well as investment and advisory teams, in these regions;
Work in collaboration with DPR staff working on global relations with European Partners and Non-European Partners / Foundations to coordinate partner engagement;
Provide support on:
- Developing a cohesive fundraising and partnership strategy for Africa regional partners and implementing it across the region;
- Tactical engagement with Africa regional development partners and coordination across operational teams to develop and implement fundraising initiatives and partnerships to support IFC’s Advisory and Investment Services (including Blended Finance);
- Facilitating the structuring of Africa regional partnerships, coordinating the development of proposals, negotiating agreements, and supporting the implementation of partnership agreements (including helping to resolve any emerging challenges);
- Coordinating cross-regional and cross-departmental fundraising efforts with Africa regional partners;
- Sharing information on fundraising initiatives with Africa regional partners across IFC;
- Ensuring that key reports are delivered to Africa regional partners and that IFC operational teams understand partner needs, priorities, and requirements under the agreement;
- Providing insights on Africa regional partners, their strategies and processes to IFC operational teams and Senior Management (ex. meeting briefs);
- Providing insights and global knowledge about IFC to Africa regional partners;
- Helping to organize regular meetings with Africa regional partners; and
- Exploring new innovative ways to partner.
- Provide practical advice to IFC’s operational teams in engaging with Africa regional partners to help them:
- Articulate funding needs;
- Identify specific partners to help support their work; and
- Develop fundraising strategies and specific fundraising initiatives.
- Provide input on Africa regional partners to help DPR develop a consolidated 3-year corporate fundraising strategy aligned with IFC’s corporate priorities.
- Support the Manager of DPR in maintaining partnership standards across IFC through capacity building, training, and policies and procedures, in collaboration with other departments, such as strategy, budget, trust funds, etc.
- Ensure that fundraising initiatives with Africa regional partners follow the governance process for fundraising and implement the new Fundraising Accountability and Decision-Making Framework (ADM);
- Provide regular updates to the fundraising pipeline database and inputs to reports for Senior Management on IFC’s fundraising efforts;
- Support IFC’s AS Portfolio Management Team in reviewing reports to Africa regional partners;
- Maintain close coordination and liaise with various partnership and DFI counterparts at the IBRD.
- Master’s Degree reflecting course work in areas relevant to IFC’s role as a private-sector oriented development institution.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, ideally in international development and private or public-sector fundraising. Prior experience in Africa is advantageous;
- Good practical knowledge and experience of IFC’s operations;
- Knowledge of key development partner agency strategies, priorities and structures, and demonstrated success in engaging and influencing key partners;
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills, high political acumen, including problem-solving skills; ability to represent IFC in high profile networks;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to think strategically and synthesize complex issues;
- Strong team orientation, with an ability to work effectively with a range of clients and colleagues including operational staff and senior management, and senior officials of IFC member countries;
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships and deliver results in a matrix organizational structure;
- High degree of professional integrity, discretion, tact, and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients, colleagues, and stakeholders;
- Willingness to travel;
- WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
- Knowledge of SAP and Trust Fund agreements a plus.
- Fluent French would also be an asset.