Morningstar - Cape Town, Province of the Western Cape
The Group: The Morningstar Investment Management (“MIM”) group consists of our investment advice, multi asset investment portfolios and sub-advisory investment products businesses. Through our registered investment advisor subsidiaries, we use our expertise in asset allocation, risk management and portfolio construction to create innovative investment solutions for institutions, advisors, and their clients. Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
The Role: The EMEA Portfolio Management team seeks a skilled investment analyst to assist and contribute to the multi-asset investment team. This role requires a person who demonstrates a strong grasp of fundamental research, a sound understanding of economics and capital markets and a passion for investing. You will work closely with the local team to leverage local expertise and global investment capabilities to deliver better investing outcomes to IM clients. This role will be based in our Cape Town office.
• Support the portfolio manager in the construction and management of portfolios based on Morningstar’s investment principles
• Perform asset allocation analysis to build asset allocations and calculate risk and return for models
• Perform capital markets fundamental research to assess the fair value of equity, bond and currency markets and assess their relative attractiveness following MIM’s process
• Monitor and research rules-based and active strategies, funds and ETFs including contributing to the buy list of funds and ETFs used to populate portfolios
• Participate in presenting research to the broader investment team and discussions with other team members covering the advantages and disadvantages of an investment strategy and process together with key risks.
• Support the development of MIM’s direct equity strategies for EMEA clients, working in conjunction with the Morningstar Equity Research team and MIM regional direct equity specialists.
• Honours degree; CFA Level 1 is preferred
• Broad knowledge of traditional finance, economics, investing and behavioral finance with a detailed understand of at least one of these areas.
• Comfortable working in a high performance team environment and the ability to work independently with limited oversight.
• Impeccable character with high ethical and quality standards
• 2-5 years hands-on investment experience as an investment analyst
• Comfortable working in a quantitative environment and have basic knowledge of investment tools such as Morningstar Direct
Morningstar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected for an interview, we will be happy to work with you to ensure your interview is accessible and that a reasonable accommodation is provided. When your interview is being scheduled, please advise us of how we might be able to support your participation.
409_MIMSoAfrPtyLtd Morningstar Investment Management South Africa (Pty) Ltd Legal Entity