Policy Analyst, Global Foresight and Analysis
Open Society Foundation - Johannesburg, Gauteng
Policy Analyst, Global Foresight and Analysis. Barcelona. Posting Date: 02/10/2020. Deadline: 03/01/2020
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your analytical skills? We are seeking a Policy Analyst to join the Global Foresight and Analysis Unit at the Open Society Foundations. The Policy Analyst will join a new team that connects OSF to debates, research, polling, analysis and foresight that are relevant to its global work.
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Global Foresight and Analysis Unit is committed to building vibrant, inclusive, and just societies around the World. The unit focuses on finding conceptual and analytical tools to address the global challenges of Economic Justice, Defense against rising authoritarianism, Climate Action, and Information Democracy. It connects these ideas to the Open Society Foundations’ interventions to advance goals such as human rights protection, better access to services by marginalized groups, and greater corporate and governmental transparency and accountability.
As a Policy Analyst at Open Society, you will:
- Monitor the intellectual production and debates, with a particular emphasis on those happening in the Global South and in languages other than English, around specific areas of interest, and develop materials and activities to connect them to the work of OSF programs and foundations;
- Partner with colleagues across the Open Society Foundations’ network to identify needs and challenges that require new approaches and perspectives;
- Convene meetings with partners, OSF colleagues, researchers and activists to explore the implications of global trends for the work of OSF and to forecast future developments that may impinge on open societies globally;
- Maintain a network of relationships with researchers and intellectuals in areas that are relevant to the work of the Global Foresight and Analysis unit;
- Solicit, vet and recommend consultancies and grants and evaluate organizations;
- Work with communications staff on internal communications, media strategies and outreach on related issues.
What we are looking for:
- Academic and intellectual training and exposure to key social science and political philosophy themes that are relevant to the mission of OSF
- Solid knowledge of interdisciplinary debates on some of the key issues for the Open Society Foundations, including those happening in at least one language other than English
- Substantial practical experience, including 5-7 years’ work relevant to policy analysis, intellectual debates or foresight studies
- Excellent written, research, and oral communications skills in English and at least one more language;
- Experience working in cross cultural settings;
- Specific numeric analytical skills and data visualization, specific training in future studies, fluency in a third language or more, and experience working in the Global South are pluses
Desirable (but not required)
- Specific numeric analytical skills and data visualization
- Training or experience in future studies
- Fluency in a third language or more
- Experience working in the Global South
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
Check out a day in the life of an Open Society colleague here.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter, CV and a writing sample; we look forward to learning more about you.
Please note that this is a 2 year fix-term position
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.