IT Hosting Manager
Sage - Johannesburg, Gauteng
IT Hosting Manager
Sage is a global company with a local heart. The market leader for cloud-based accounting, financials, enterprise management, people, and payroll software, we empower the world’s business heroes—from single-person startups to large enterprises. Our people are passionate and positive. We inspire our colleagues to serve business builders everywhere and champion their success. As a FTSE 100 company with 14,000 colleagues across 24 countries, we do business the right way, while giving back to our local communities through the Sage Foundation. Sage is passionate about building a culture where our colleagues feel they can bring their whole selves to work. Where people know they’ll be judged on their performance and behaviours - not their identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, color, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Reporting to the Director of Global Hosting Services, the Hosting Manager is responsible for managing local, regional and global resources to deliver and support, high quality services and/or systems to the identified architecture and availability standards that exceed customers’ expectations.
Managing and developing partnerships and relationships with key internal stakeholders and colleagues irrespective of team or geographical borders, they are a recognised expert in key technologies and have an expert level of understanding of technology relevant to the capability. Sets an example by taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
The Hosting Manager champions and evangelises best practices and adoption of new/emerging technologies across the organisation.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership: (8 or 10 max)
• Manage the delivery and maintenance of high-quality technical solutions including configuration and/or maintenance of both on premise and cloud-based systems with accountability for critical business functions.
• Role model expected leadership behaviours and demonstrate high standards of honesty and integrity whilst developing and managing a high-performing team, effectively dealing with under performance and performance management.
• Manage successful recruitment campaign for approved roles as well as ensuring new colleagues are onboarded following the appropriate processes and effectively coaching the team through the recognition and utilisation of differing skills and capabilities to meet organisational demands and develop the individuals.
• Be the IT lead for all phases of the project lifecycle, negotiating project scope and timelines as well as balancing competing needs of project managers and project sponsors.
• Provide accurate estimates and effective plans as well as challenging delivery estimates to meet objectives. Delivered plans must meet the objectives of the team and support the goals and objectives of the function and ultimately the organisation as a whole.
• Provide strong guidance to a team of technical specialists as well as participate in or leading Centre of Excellence Teams within the hosting function to develop and maintain global standards as well as delivering high quality projects and BAU support.
• Seek out and act upon feedback received and provide quality feedback to other team members to aid their personal development.
• Be the key contact for the local IT Business Partner and I&O resources aligned to other functions to ensure a high level of customer and colleague support.
• Ensure all work is completed to the required quality standards, identify opportunities for continuous improvement of development processes and pro-actively transfer knowledge amongst team members
• Understand and lead the investigation and resolution of major incidents in line with the problem management process to a satisfactory outcome ensuring root cause is identified and solutions defined/implemented with changes to prevent re-occurrence.
Skills, know-how and experience:
• Ability to resolve moderately complex conflicts as well as promoting the collaboration of colleagues across different teams.
• The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside of the IT function with organisational, presentation and communication skills and the ability to influence.
• People orientated with experience of managing disparate, multi-cultural and virtual teams that are geographically diverse including experience of mentoring and coaching individuals to ensure they’re able to take on new challenges as well as a track record of encouraging and nurturing innovation, creativity and appropriate risk-taking
• Passionate about organising and delivering well designed solutions that meet objectives and drive business success with experience of organising and motivating experienced IT professionals to meet shared goals.
• Strong IT delivery and support background/experience, with demonstrable experience in the full IT delivery lifecycle including best practice methodologies and tools for enterprise class IT solutions.
• Approachable, driven by a sense of team, have a lack of ego and demonstrate consistency between what they say and how they act.
• Thrive under pressure, whilst being highly skilled at balancing business as usual activities with project delivery.
• Flexible and willing to take on projects on internal initiatives that are outside of comfort zone.
• Experience of managing a moderate budget • Highly logical with good problem-solving skills.
• Leader who drives initiatives through to completion that contribute to significant changes in either technology or environment and proactively takes responsibility for planning and delivering team activities.
• Significant knowledge of hosting platforms including Cloud services and on-premise hardware/software.
Technical / professional qualifications:
• Degree holder (desirable) and/or relevant professional qualification and/or relevant work experience in related discipline that demonstrates a proven aptitude for IT leadership.
Key performance indicators: (3-5 Max)
• Manage and support local, regional and global resources to ensure we have the right people, in the right place, at the right time providing coaching and mentoring for the team members and identifying development needs.
• Define and ensure adherence to best practice, processes and compliance with system and reporting standards.
• Initiate and lead approved projects to agreed levels of quality and by the required deadline.
• Drive and provide accurate, detailed and timely estimates and track activities against plan.
• Contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of the hosting roadmap for the hosting function. Direct reports:
• Managing a local/regional team of ~5-15 IT professionals.
• Matrix leadership of resources from across the global Sage organisation.
• Functional Director – for direction and escalation
• Departmental Colleagues – to collaborate on/review technical solutions and provide guidance, coaching and mentoring.
• Architecture, Security & Design team - to ensure that it is possible to implement the proposed designs, standards and quality.
• Planning & Delivery Governance team - to collaborate on future roadmaps, and understand and interpret customer requirements.
• Service Management/Customer Services - to provide technical support, as required, to assist with the prompt resolution of issues.
• Product Owners/Customer Services - to understand issues affecting our customers.
• IT – to build a network of peers and colleagues throughout the division.
• Head of Function and I&O Department Managers – to contribute to IT initiatives and become known by the leadership community as an expert in the relevant field.
• As part of the Hosting Centre of Excellence (CoE) Teams.