Research and Insights Analyst
TransUnion - Johannesburg, Gauteng
What We'll Bring:
Analytics Consultant – Financial Services Research & Consulting
The Team’s Focus
Beyond the traditional business of furnishing credit reports for consumer lending, TransUnion Financial Services provides financial institutions with data and solutions to better manage customer relationships. We have a large, diverse client base ranging from top financial institutions to credit unions to FinTechs, in markets that range from mature to emerging. We offer a broad array of products customized to each aspect of our clients’ business: credit risk management, marketing segmentation, fraud and ID management, collections and credit decisioning. We pride ourselves on our ability to bring innovative ideas and solutions to market, leveraging our extensive experience in credit data and analytics.
The Financial Services Research and Consulting team drives the perception in the industry of TransUnion as an authority on lending dynamics and a trusted partner of our customers in helping them understand the market and set their strategies. We accomplish this by mining TransUnion’s vast consumer credit database to conduct industry analyses and research studies on key market trends, behaviors, risks and opportunities. We drive this thought leadership directly to customers and the broader marketplace through proprietary and industry conferences, press releases and publications, and in client engagement interactions. We also provide our TransUnion sales team with industry education and tailored points of view that enable more relevant, targeted and productive customer conversations.
What You'll Bring:
Dynamics of the Role
The Consultant – Analytics role within the Research and Consulting team is responsible for driving research studies and industry analysis within the consumer lending sector in support of TransUnion’s international businesses. Using varied, leading-edge data aggregation and statistical analysis, the incumbent conducts sophisticated research initiatives aimed at understanding why consumers behave the way they do with credit, what external forces influence that behavior and what lenders need to know to manage the risks and opportunities associated with that behavior. This role supports Research and Consulting leads in each of TransUnion’s international regions in setting and driving research agendas that uncover market opportunities, advance our businesses and build stronger customer partnerships.
What You’ll Bring:
- A Master’s or Ph.D. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics or an equivalent discipline. Equivalent analytical experience will be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A high degree of technical aptitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly analytical mindset with the curiosity to dig deeper into data, trends and consumer behavior
- Capability to eloquently describe analytic ideas, requirements, processes and findings in non-technical terms.
- A strong interest in the areas of banking, consumer lending and finance is paramount
- Strong SQL programming skills required. Experience with big data platforms (e.g. IBM Netezza, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark) preferred.
- Advanced experience with MS Office and working knowledge of SAS or R is required.
- Additional programming skills preferred in Linux shell scripting and Perl.
- Curiosity as to why consumers act the way they do with their credit.
- Strong work ethic with the passion for team success
Impact You'll Make:
How You’ll Contribute:
- You will develop a strong understanding of consumer credit data and how it applies to industry trends and research.
- You will drive research and analysis projects around complex market dynamics, including study design, results analysis and final publication.
- You will translate complex analytical findings into insightful business presentations.
- You will perform multiple tasks simultaneously and deal with changing requirements and deadlines.
- You will author articles based on our research for publication in industry-specific journals.
- You will speak eloquently on behalf of TransUnion to share our insights at both our own conferences and at 3rd-party industry events.
TransUnion Job Title
Consultant, Analytics Consulting